International Scientific Advisory Board
Meet the global allergy leaders supporting the National Allergy Centre of Excellence
The NACE International Scientific Advisory Board members generously volunteer their time and expertise to help deliver our vision of dramatically accelerating allergy research in Australia.
The Board provides governance and strategic direction, including risk management, and supports the work of our Executive Committee.
The distinguished clinician-scientists have interests in multiple facets of allergic disease, keeping the NACE up-to-date with the global work underway to address this increasingly important field of internal medicine.
Read more about the NACE International Scientific Advisory Board.
Professor Hugh Sampson (Chair)
Food allergy expert
- Kurt Hirschhorn Professor of Pediatrics at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York
- Emeritus Director of the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute
Clinical/research interests: Immunopathogenic mechanisms of food allergic disorders and asthma; immunomodulatory therapies.
Professor Tony Basten
Insect allergy expert
- Emeritus Professor at the University of Sydney
- Conjoint Professor at St Vincent's Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales
- Emeritus Fellow at the Garvan Institute, Sydney
- Co-chair of Tiara (Tick Induced Allergies Research & Awareness)
Clinical/research interests: Immunological tolerance, autoimmunity, allergy and mycobacterial infections.
Dr Robert Boyle
Food allergy expert
- Consultant Paediatric Allergist at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London
- Clinical Reader in Paediatric Allergy
- Senior Editor at Cochrane
Clinical/research interests: Primary prevention of allergic diseases; preventing, diagnosing and treating inflammatory conditions, evidence synthesis.
Professor Stephen Durham
Respiratory allergy expert
- Head of Section for Allergy and Clinical Immunology, NHLI, Imperial College London
- Professor of Allergy and Respiratory Medicine at the Royal Brompton Hospital
- President of the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Clinical/research interests: Allergen immunotherapy, alum-based grass pollen vaccine.
Associate Professor Britta Jeppesen
Living evidence expert
- Chief Scientist at the Future Evidence Foundation
- Adjunct Associate Professor at Monash University
- Former Living Guidelines Program Manager at Cochrane Australia
Clinical/research interests: Evidence-based medicine, living guidelines.
Professor Mika Makela
- Professor of Clinical Allergology at the University of Helsinki, Finland
- Chairman of the Allergy Clinic, Helsinki University Hospital
- Chairman for Current Care Guidelines in Finland both for Asthma and Pediatric Food Allergies
Clinical/research interests: Asthma and allergies, particularly in children.
Professor Elizabeth Phillips
Drug allergy expert
- Professor of Medicine, Dermatology, Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology at Vanderbilt University, Nashville
- John A. Oates Chair in Clinical Research
- Director of the Centre for Drug Safety and Immunology
Clinical/research interests: HIV, drug safety, pharmacology, personalised medicine, drug hypersensitivity.